So my big thing is candy and in the past I've given it up for lent along with other things over the years. This year I'm broadening the candy thing to include all refined sugar because I could technically have cakes, pies, ice cream, etc. because they weren't candy. This year is starting off rough because the church youth have a pancake supper just before the Ash Wednesday service and we all know what is good on pancakes. Looks like I'll have to eat beforehand. Then this morning Ms. Margaret from preschool was going to give me a Valentine Brownie. No brownie and no long face for me.Not yet, anyway.
Lent isn't just about self denial. It is also about accepting. During these 40 days, rather than dwell on what I'm giving up or removing from my life or denying myself the pleasure of, I will honor the Divine who puts breath within me and turn my focus to the eternal life I will receive through Christ's death and resurrection.
Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of you, the god of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen (BCP)
No comments:
Post a Comment